Sunday, April 10, 2016

Trying to be more blog-ductive

Spring has officially sprung into Korea and I am officially 1 million times happier.   There's still something that just isn't clicking right for me lately and I'm definitely ready to head back to America and beyond but I just feel better.  I can run outsiiiiiiiide, most days that aren't smothered with dust particles.  The cherry blossoms have come and almost gone.  I just wish I was closer to an Ocean.   Conference was a lovely tease of look what you could live next to, but you're hours away from the closest beach, muahaha (twist of fate).  Which is interesting as I grew up over an hour from the closest beach, and Arizona isn't exactly known for its aquatics.  I just recently learned to surf and I wanna get back out there so bad, maybe I'm just really ready for that change.


via GIPHY
via GIPHY
I've been investing more in my health.  Korean fruit is expensive and not very varied but I'm putting in the money now and already feel happier.  My 5k time was better, and after a run (mostly) I feel confident and strong.  I still love all of the amazing junk foods (mac and cheese for life) but I am definitely becoming a weekday health fanatic.  I've got the chia seeds and almond milk to prove it. 


Conference was so much better then I expected.  I was really feeling disconnected to all Fulbrighters and didn't feel like putting on that front for people I may not see again, BUT! Seeing everyone was wonderful and hanging out was like nothing ever changed.  I was able to help with the interviews for FEP and still made it to the "fundraiser" for KBI.  A friend even waited to help split a cab with me to the club, even though it was hours after he was free to leave.


Seeing all of the FEP people made me really excited for camp and working with our new staff.  Im excited and ready to dive head in on the planning and actually talk to my old camp friends about all of the things.  I feel like I have the experience now to dive into implementing new activity directions and new formats to make the experience better as a whole.

SOOOOO conference, 100% better.  Structure was better, people were great, weather was fantastic.  I need to go to the ocean.

Also I think I am the prime example of don't trust what you see on Facebook.  I do tend to only post the positives for better or worse.  I think I've discovered I am a genuinely positive person, mostly when someone else needs or wants me to be.  It's the living on my own without a roommate where the positivity stops.  I'm more likely to be like "Well at least the weathers nice!" when someone else tells me something negative about Korea etc.  Where if its just me and my closest friends I'm more likely to be like let's enter into the black-hole of negativity that is living in a foreign country.  

SO! to end on a positive note: My students are wonderful angels and I'm so glad to see them everyday.  I may not be loving the situation, co-teachers, school, or lack or reason, but these kids are little positivity monsters and my lesson this week is going so well with them.  They are jumping on board and loving the English :P
via GIPHY


Things I want to remember when I look back on this blog: 

-There were definitely hard times living in a foreign country.  (It is hard for everyone at some point)

- My Cheongju friends are amazing! (I miss Stephanie Han...come back to Cheongju)
-  Megan and Bassam are awesome people and I'm super interested in where there lives lead.  Volleyball (though sporatic) is such a fun outlit. (Shout out Alison)
- Josh Wood is one of the smartest and most interesting people I've ever met and spending time with him always puts me in a better mood.  I have no way to even begin to describe him but his talk on liberatarianism was fantastic.  (also shout out to Hillary Vietch) Seeing first years react to his style is the greatest.  Don't ever change :P
- FEP staff is the greatest thing to grace this world and if I could be a combination of two people it would have to be Sammi and Vinnie.  There are so many incredible people in this program I could not even begin to describe the amazing qualities they all bring to the table but as leaders, co-workers, and bosses these two take the cake.  They both have incredible drive and care so much about others.  One of the greatest benefits of working with the Summer program is getting to spend time with them.  They are so busy with incredible projects yet they always take time to help anyone who needs it.  I will never be able to figure out where they get the time that they spread among students and friends because it definitely seams to be more than 24 hours each day.  
-I am growing.  As a person I am recognizing my strengths and weaknesses more and more.  I also bring great things to this program and I think with some tuning and growth I will become someone others can look up to and who can help people in this world grow.





No comments:

Post a Comment